An irregular doily could be sign of several things.
- the tatter sporadically forgot to control herself, or to regulate thread tension or to read instructions (or all together)
- she suffers from indeciveness when it comes to colours
- she has been overwhelmed by too much techniques in that narrow area
- she worn her fingers out hiding too much ends with the needle (poor thing!)
- definitely you would say that she needed a second chance...
That grammar book in the picture was printed in 1954, I treasure it because of handnotes written by my father. Men in the picture joke with the word "irregular": man1: "what's irregular(wrong)?" man2: "spark plugs burned." (well, that's my best irregular translation!)
How do you finish ends?
I find this link very instructive: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/classes/ends.html