Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 18 June 2019

Three times

I'm very slow tatting this doily, there are many treble tatting stitches, as I wish to recreate the effect of the double lines of ds with rows of tds. It's taking me three times the time I had expected.

I'm tempted to call this quite "a translation", where the pattern, for example, asked 6ds, I've tatted 4tds, so I feel I'm missing something during the multiplication act, as like as you always miss a little bit, translating from one language to another!


I'm modifying a pattern that is in "Il Lavoro Chiacchierino (Frivolité), II Album", publication date is 1942; previously published in a German publication from 1921, the doily is at page 12 here:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/neueschiffchenspitzen.pdf

UPDATE: the book is from 1935 and it is listed here: https://www.craftree.com/sources/10176 

You can't believe and you're going to read this line three times: I've even chosen a name for that doily, I'd like calling it "Rosalina", a girl's  name, just because.

Thread is special dentelles dmc size 80, colour 3325; other than the treble tatting stitches, I'm also using the technique showed in last post, that I've called the "right angle" (here I've tatted 1tds and 2ds).


Learning tatting is hundreds times easier than learning a second language. The more I study English, the more I see that it's really difficult. Now, it happens that I just wanted to title this post "3 times slower", quite reasonable in my Italian, my words imply that 1 ds tat 3 times faster than 1 tds. I did a little research to see if my literal translation would have worked in English, I'm always doubtful with literal translations. Well, I found that someone thinks that "3 times faster" has a sense, unlike the "3 times slower", that seems that you are supposed to multiply something, obtaining less quantity... a nonsense that, in this case, makes it right to the point!

Ciao,
Ninetta

19 comments:

  1. I take my hat off to you for writing your blog in English at all!! And I take it off again to you for translating an old pattern into modern techniques. It’s bound to be slow, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane, it's been difficult but I'm grateful to have very supportive readers like you! The blog has helped me a lot, still I should improve the listening and the speaking and there's no way in this moment, that's another thing that is bound to be slow, very slow :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That has such an interesting effect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better than Jane 💗
    I don't find anything wrong in saying '3 times smaller', so perhaps it is a cultural (read Ametican 😉😄) or idiomatic issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! It could be, I'm also very aware that in internet it's possible finding everything, and it's contrary, too d( :-f

      Delete
  4. It looks very pretty using the treble stitch instead of the block-tatted rows of DSs. Really, both versions are pretty, it just depends on which way you prefer to tat it, I guess. Your 'translation' of the pattern is lovely.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Stephanie :-f
      I suspect that it was originally inspired by something else, like a lace made with the needle, because of its texture. I'm thinking of Armenian lace.

      Delete
  5. It's lovely, and you are always thinking with creative ideas. 💐 You deserve real flowers 😃 thank you for taking the time to translate to English. You do know they say "a picture tells a thousand words" but you go beyond this with translation 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :X thanks for flowers, dear Carollyn!
      Images are powerful indeed. Good that old books are full of pictures of real tatting, I think those "old aunts" didn't need words to replicate patterns!

      Delete
  6. Bluff City Tatter19 June 2019 at 02:58

    I think those of us who are native English speakers forget how difficult our language is. In school I studied French and Spanish and the structure of the Romance Languages is so much easier than English.

    I really like your idea of trying a new technique with an older pattern to update it. The doily is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm enjoying this doily!
      Unfortunately, I hadn't a good English education in school when I was young and I've started learning seriously as an adult. That's my limit, I think.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful 👌. Also I like your mathematical way of write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy reading your blog immensely! I'm in awe of your English (I studied French to mediocre proficiency)and have never won a spelling bee in English in my life! Do not get despressed....language can humble us all!
    I love the creativity of your designs. Making something old new is a true art! Grazie (if you pardon my trying in Italian).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, dear Mel! Grazie a te :-f

      Delete
  9. A do agree learning tatting is easier than learning a new language,
    I do love your pattern, it looks very interesting how its playing out

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta