Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 23 July 2019

cachemire

It isn't a typo! That's how "paisley" translates in Italian, the words make weird journeys around the world and this one came into Italian from French during the Napoleonic era (according to Treccani online), after the shawls with the characteristic pattern, made with the light and soft wool imported from Kashmir, in India.


From India comes the pattern too, it's designed by Muskaan, you can read about it here:
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/06/25-snowflake-challenge.html

Thread is twisted silk, produced by "Tecnoseta srl". There's a sewing pin near my tatting:

It's a pity that those Josephin Rings don't show well, it was tricky tatting. In fact, the first two ones are two mishaps. Then, from the third on, I  discovered that it closes better with another thread as an helper, that is a short thread folded in half and passed through the ring before pulling the ring's thread.

I thought I could have used that snowflake for my dollhouse, but now I realised that it's big! In the scale 1:12, it cannot be used as a little doily either, because the pattern has a lot of open space... I should find another home for it!

Ciao,
Ninetta

18 comments:

  1. It's a very beautiful snowflake!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share some details on this helper thread please. I've used them to hold a space to join back to (like at beginning of a motif) Thread at beginning of my Josephine rings tends to stretch as I close them, maybe this is the trick I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tatted the Jr as usual, first half stitches, then I had difficulties to close it because that silk is very thin. It is thinner than the DMC size 80 thread that I usually tat with. I almost closed the Jr, then put a short length (about 15cm) of another thread (red in picture) through the Jr loop, and folded it in half. I held tight the red thread and the Jr with my left hand, under thumb and index finger, and pulled the shuttle with my right hand doing a clockwise movement. Be sure you don't pull the Jr but only the shuttle.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful week! 2 historical references to India in our thread/fabric journey (Jane McLellan's). Thanks for this datum as well as making the flake in such fine thread. 💖🌹💗
    How 'big' did it turn out?
    I sometimes have to use a crochet hook to give weight, stability, and avoid twisting when closing such small rings. I assume you are using the helper for same purpose but only because your tatting thread is too fine for the heavy hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍
      It is about 3cm, a little bit more than 1 inch.

      Delete
  4. Your post brought a smile to my face! That you were tatting a pattern from Muskaan AND that you found the lace too big! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful snowflake. Thanks for an idea of using extra thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of using the thread to help close the Josephine ring. That's something I never would have thought of doing. Seeing your tatting in such fine thread gives me the urge to pull out some of the lovely finer threads I have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) it would be pretty! I love lace made with thin thread :-f

      Delete
  7. Wow, so fine, it’s lovely. Your account of the helper thread is very interesting, I wouldn’t have thought of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thread helping thread kind of a fun to think about 😁 also the silk is very beautiful and I think even shows up in the picture too. This is very beautiful too💖💐💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful snowflake, you could use it as a coaster and put it in a plastic coaster case, which would keep it clean and useful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta