Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Sunday 1 June 2014

Little superduo squared motif with tutorial

For all of you that want to know more about super-duo and twin beads, I've found an interesting video (and I'm soooo happy that I can understand it without subtitles!!!). The link to the video is here.

I hope you will enjoy this little motif. This time I've tried to write a tutorial instead of a visual pattern, let me know if this works for you. The 2 strands of dmc metallic thread I've used is very similar to a size 40 thread. Superduo beads are about 1/4" high, normal beads are Gutermann rocailles 9/o.
quad_22
Tools: a gauge half inch wide (I used one plastic collar stay for men dress shirt) used horizontally;
another gauge of 1cm wide (or 0.4 inch), used vertically;
a thin wire, folded, to be used as a needle.

Load CTM 2 shuttles, putting 20 normal rounded glass beads in SH2 and 8 super-duo beads, then 4 normal beads, then another 8 super-duo beads in SH1.

From now on, SD will stand for "super-duo bead", and NB for "normal rounded bead".

First round: Start with a ring with SH1, putting 8 SD plus one normal bead inside the ring. Tat 4ds, then slip 2 SD in place of a picot, 4ds. Put one NB from the shuttle and use the gauge half inch wide horizontally for a long picot. Repeat the sequence for other 3 times.Close the ring.

Second round: Climb to the next row leaving a bit of thread (half of a picot size), then with SH1 start a ring of 4ds, leave a long picot, vertically using the gauge of 0.4 inch, then other 4ds, close the ring. (*) Reverse work and start a chain: 10ds long. With SH2 make a split ring, slipping inside 5 NB. Split ring is: 4ds, then slip one NB in place of a picot, first half of a ds, split second NB, second half of a ds, slip third NB, first half of a ds, slip fourth NB, second half of a ds, slip fifth NB, then tat 4 ds. With SH1 tat the down side of the split ring: 3ds, one SD, 3ds, another SD, 3 ds. Close the split ring. Now tat a chain of 10ds.
Using a thin wire as an helper, fold it and grab the long picot of the first 4-4 ring through the SD holes.
Reverse work and with SH1 start a ring of 4ds, join to the picot coming from inside SDs, then tat 4ds and close the ring. Don't take out the wire before you have the join completed.
Make a lock join with SH1 to the long picot of first round. Then tat another ring with SH1: 4ds, long picot 0.4 inch, 4ds. Repeat from (*) another 2 times.

For the last corner, tat the chain of 10ds and then the split ring, equal to previous one, tat the second chain of 10ds and the joining ring of 4-4, then lock join to the starting point and tie. If you want, you can cut there the thread or make a decorative chain of split rings, 6/6 , as I did.

Ciao,
Ninetta

18 comments:

  1. Thanks Ninetta. As soon as I find some of those twin beads, I'll use your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm looking forward to see your tatting!

      Delete
  2. That is a fabulous motif!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I love the motif but I have never seen those type of beads before.... I had no trouble following your tutorial (but then I follow the pics mostly, I'm very visual) Thanks! Now I will have to just look for some beads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Marla, I love to have this kind of feedback!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much, Ninetta!! This is THE pattern I was looking for . Thank you for the great tutorial. OK, I'm off hunting for those beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Tally, I'll stay tuned on your blog!

      Delete
  5. I've seen those beads but could never figure out what to do with them. That's awesome, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy that you liked it! thank you so much

      Delete
  6. You are so very talented and make such beautiful work and I was looking, your cluny's are excellent too! Thank You for sharing your talents freely you will be blessed hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Carollyn, it's so kind of you, you have very nice words for me :) hugs

      Delete
  7. Great tutorial, Ninetta! And a very inspired use of the beads. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Corina, I love your tatting and I hope you'll be inspired by those beads too!!

      Delete
  8. Wow!!! Ninetta splendido tutorial, grazie!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. The visual tutorial is a great benefit to me! Thanks for sharing your talents. This is a lovely motif.
    What exact thread did you use,please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DMC mouliné effet lumière 100% polyester, E155.

      Delete
  10. The visual tutorial is a great benefit to me! Thanks for sharing your talents. This is a lovely motif.
    What exact thread did you use,please?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta