Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Wednesday 8 April 2015

T. De Dillmont - Plate V, figure 25

https://flic.kr/p/s1N8KG

 dillmontPlateVfig25, a photo by ninettacaruso on Flickr

Thérèse de Dillmont, during her very short life, only 44 years, wrote the wondeful and evergreen handbook "The Encyclopedia of Needlework", that now we can also enjoy online:
http://encyclopediaofneedlework.com/

The chapter about tatting is chapter X. She also wrote a DMC pubblication specifically about tatting, that can be find here: Tatting by Thérèse de Dillmont, at 
www.georgiaseitz.com/public/dmclibtat.pdf
(Thank you Georgia!!!)


In last post, inspired by the motif tatted in 2011 by Gina Brummet, I tried to tat again the motif in fig. 25, PlateV, using more modern techniques.

The "modernized" pattern takes advantage of split rings and floating (or thrown off) rings.

Floating rings are simple rings thrown off a chain or off the second half of a split ring. Jane Eborall (thanks!!!) has one of her wonderful pages here: www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/TipsTechniques.htm

That is the basic technique. I played a little with the size of the central ring, that lift up like a little bas-relief. I like a lot the final effect.

Ciao,
Ninetta

8 comments:

  1. Good idea to apply modern techniques to older patterns, it can really make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting ! So basically, you have started with the central small 'floating ring', & then made the 4 larger rings, of which 1-3 are normal rings while the 4th one is a SR to climb out to the next floret ?
    Then, for all subsequent florets, you start with a SR, then floating ring, then 2 normal rings & another SR to climb out.
    Did I get it right ? I need shuttles to confirm .....
    Thanks for diagramming & sharing, Ninetta :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thumb up. And then you can go stright on with flowers or make a square of 4 flowers or ... Etc etc. I can't wait one of your tips to improve this. I'm serious.

      Delete
    2. You are too kind, Ninetta :-)
      I'm glad to have figured it out, though (I like solving puzzles - that's how I look at new patterns, etc.). Took me a while, with a lot of back & forth between your diagrams & the written pattern.
      Will try it out tomorrow & let you know :-) It really is a very nice motif.

      Delete
    3. Here is my first trial of this motif : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5MqI5ByadI4SW1TbERPVFRJbGM/edit?usp=docslist_api
      Nowhere as nice as yours, but I did get better with each. Lots of ideas & thoughts mulling about - but very 'basic' ;-P
      Your diagrams were great. Thanks :-)

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much, it's wonderful. I think I did larger picots in fr like your 3rd flower. You're very nice :-)

      Delete
    5. The longer picots help to lift up the FR.
      There is one more point : when making the 1st SR of each subsequent motif, I realised it was easier to make the 'split' the working into 3 parts : 1. Start with 1st half 6-4.
      2. Make 2nd half of SR, including the FR, and the last 2ds.
      3. Go back to 1st half - join with FR and make the last 2ds. Close ring.

      I was also wondering whether starting the Very First motif with an SR & FR would probably be easier. For my 1st 2 motifs, I had a contorted vision .... how to join to FR. But it became very easy gradually.
      Thoroughly enjoyed the process. It has tremendous potential.
      Now to get back to the doily, though ;-)

      Delete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta