Wheels it is also the name for a kind of pasta in shape of wheels! But that is for a different kind of blog...
Pattern for the wheel: one shuttle. I promise: it's not an aunt's recipe!
- Start the center ring leaving a tail from the shuttle, about 12cm (5in) of thread: 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 (11 picots)
- leave a mock picot then tat a split ring with the shuttle and the tail: 6ds/6ds
- leave a bare thread - I left about 1/8" - then tat a "large" ring 4-2-2-2-2-2-4
A)- leave a bare thread - same as previous - then tat a "small" ring 6+6, joining to the next picot of the center ring
leave a bare thread - same as previous - then tat another "large" ring,
4+2-2-2-2-2-4, joining the last picot of previous large ring
- alternate small and large rings, repeating A) and B) for 10 times but for the last large ring:
- last large ring: 4+2-2-2-2-2+4, joining the last picot of previous large ring and the first picot of the first large ring.
tail left at the beginning, it must be hidden inside the last large ring,
with a magic loop trick or whatever you want. I use this method: http://sharonstattedlace.blogspot.it/2008/11/adding-in-new-thread.html. That bare thread is part of the pattern.
Actually, now I'm having troubles with half-wheels in the last round! I'm afraid I have to tat them all apart, with a lot of tails. I'll keep you updated!