Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Friday 10 March 2017

daisy in a corner

I've naively believed that corners were not an issue for any tatter, but I'm unsure about it now and I'd like sharing what I've done with the edging I'm currently tatting. I admit I didn't look for a pattern, if already available in internet for this edging, in fact I have made this one up taking in consideration simple tips and a bit of experience.
The simplest thing to look for is that: if the next repetition in the pattern can rotate just removing one or two joining picots. In this case you may be content as it is or would like adding a spare motif to fill in the gap. I think that it is understandable, but here it is an example (there's only one joining picot between repetitions):


I first tried with another method, that is the mirror, like in fig.885 here: http://encyclopediaofneedlework.com/chapter_16.html

(Update: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/20776/20776-h/20776-h.htm#fig_885 )

I took a pic, just because I know I would have forget it immediately after removing the mirror. Of course, technology helps a poor tatter 😉


But it was obvious that the line of sloping daisies would have changed on the second side. So I tried just to bend 90° the edging:

it was quite good, because I noticed that only a joining picot should have been removed. Then I added a daisy: 6 rings are 10-8-10 and 3 rings are 10-4-4-10, these last 3 are used to connect the daisy to the edging. Only the next motif in the corner has the very first petal as Ring:14+4-10.


I've found another way to tat a corner for this edging, but the daisies are attached to the fabric instead of the leaves. I found it here: http://macrame-crochet.eu/2013/02/bordura-a-chiacchierino-con-schema/  (it is an image of a pattern taken from an old Burda magazine)

Ciao
Ninetta
Related posts

7 comments:

  1. Corners certainly can give problems. Many edging patterns don't show a corner and you can be left puzzled! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corners are difficult for me, even when I use the mirror. So many edgings, especially the ones from the 'vintage' books, don't tell you how to turn the corner, and it can be a real problem. This is one of the edgings that had me 'stuck' without a corner. Thanks for showing us your corner and showing us the way someone else did it. I prefer the daisies on the 'outside' edge, so your corner is the one that will work best for me. Thank you again!
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments, they are always very pertinent and helpful :-f

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so amazing!!! :) Great corner!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific solution for a beautiful corner! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great solution to an edging problem, I tend to avoid some patterns if there's no corner shown, interesting post thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the trials, so you can help us with this delima in the future. I do enjoy figuring it out I love this part of tatting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta