Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 22 May 2018

the chain does the trick

The other day, a dear friend wrote to ask help in tatting a little corner with squared motifs tiled in a beautiful tablecloth, that she found in an issue of  "Il lavoro chiacchierino" (issue 16) by Mani di Fata. That reminded me of something I had already seen, and in fact it is very similar - but with different stitches' count - to another old pattern, from 1917.
Anyway, her question was about how tatting it with less ends to cut, tie and hide, you know that, the same old story. So I suggested many different "magic square" patterns, also the beautiful onion rings' mat by Robin Perfetti (http://tattingbythebay.blogspot.com/2017/06/onion-ring-magic-square-pattern.html). But nothing. She wanted to tat exactly that one from the magazine. So that's how that has started, I added a chain of 4-8-4 and magically the square became a magic square! That's the power of a chain!
Thread is DMC white BLANC, size 100.
(DMC sells 3 hues for white - I've blogged about it here: http://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2016/07/wheres-yellow-gone.html )
Well, now I should go on with it, it's a pity leaving it unfinished!
Thank you for the challenge, Oriana!
The similar old free pattern is here: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/dexter3/pg10.jpg

If you would like to look at a beautiful tablecloth, all tatted, you should look at that one by Sue (all posts in her blog, labelled "tatted tablecloth"):
http://hiskid66.blogspot.com/search/label/tatted tablecloth

Tags are a great way to find similar posts in the blog. If you look at the bottom of every page in my blog, you should find the word "Labels", that is the list of tags I used (in brackets there is a count of the number of posts for each tag).
However, on mobiles (and I use it, too) the footer and the sidebars are not visible. That's the reason why I've added another page "(((Blog map)))", it is in the menu in the header bar, with all labels linked. If the number of posts with a certain label exceed the maximum number of post per page, you can read the rest of them as usual, by clicking the button "older posts".
I beg your pardon if you find any inconsistency, and please let me know, with a comment. Thank you very much in advance, to everyone of you.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀
About chains' power, I've added a drawing in Flickr, that is just a summary in one page to show how to close a mock ring, aka SCMR. I should say thank you to another friend (Muskaan) who, in a e-mail exchange, mentioned something about the different ways to make the SCMR, and that helped me to remember a drawing that I did in 2013, but never posted. Thank you, Muskaan!
Direct link to the drawing: https://flic.kr/p/24D988b

My first personal reference are the drawings by Jane Eborall (thank you!!!) here:
www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/SCMR.pdf
and here:
www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/SCMRClosing.pdf
and of course you have plenty of explanations in the GR-8 Shuttles site (by Gary and Randy Houtz): www.gr-8shuttles.com/index.shtml
Gary and Randy Houtz named and popularized the SCMR.
❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀
Ciao,
Ninetta

12 comments:

  1. That’s a wonderful magic square. Good when others challenge us. I greatly enjoyed tatting Robin’s magic square. I’m tempted to try this, but I have a lot on the go at the moment, I had better stick to what I’m doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chain you added is just gorgeous really beautiful 🍃🦋🍃you have lots of nice references too. I just found out that Flickr is being sold and another company is taking over, but they are trying to keep things for photographer's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty dear Carollyn and sorry for any issues you'd have with my pictures in Flickr, I'm trying to understand what's happening.

      Delete
  3. That is an awesome design!!! :) Some day I will learn the magic squares and have to try it!!
    Oh, as for my tablecloth, it has lots and lots of ends to hide because I haven't really learned all the "tricks" to going from one motif to the next, but I am still working on learning!! Thank you for your wonderful comment on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tablecloth is perfect as it is! g-)

      Delete
  4. A very interesting post. Thank you for writing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the idea of the magic square spreading and new patterns becoming available! Your addition of a simple chain is very effective at keeping the original design intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty Robin, your opinion about my trick is valuable :-h

      Delete
  6. Excellent trickery ;-P And you don't even need an edging - it seems to be in-built.
    Ah, yet another power of the chain - I just posted another use of the SCMR to add new thread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta