Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 14 August 2018

fun swirly effect in treble tatting

That swirl effect makes me smile!
treble tatting tds

Those lilac swirls are tatted with one shuttle only, they are rings, one ds and 8 tds, then close without any other stitch or picot. That was the first round I've tatted, then I added the yellow centre and, next, the outer round. I left a lot of picot there, do you think we need another round?
treble tatting tds

Thread is Anchor, size 70, very nice and soft. That is a very welcome gift, from Maria, a beginner who started tatting in January but loves tiny threads and already tats with size 80! Thank you Maria, for your enthusiasm!
treble tatting tds

Butterflies have the "body" in treble tatting, tatted with the yellow thread encapsulated in the green chain, of course that means the last round is tatted with 3 shuttles (or 2 shuttles and one ball). I tatted in direct tatting and needed 3 shuttles, also yellow tds are tatted in direct tatting. Wings are floating rings, one has tds, too.
treble tatting tds

If any of you like this pattern and wish to replicate it, I may post it here as text, or, alternatively, I can make up a tutorial (with pics, etc) for a tat-along. I could add rounds, I've not decided, though. What do you think?

The swirl ring effect is something that I've learned from Lenka (her blog is frivolenka.blogspot.com). She sent me her tatting with those rings, some years ago, but I can't find a technique's name, neither a site where the technique is explained. At least, nothing in English or Italian! I don't know if it is her own original idea, anyway I like calling it "Lenka's ring"!  Thank you, Lenka! If any of you have infos about it, please let me know, I'd be happy to learn and update this post with a link!
It is a one shuttle pattern: after closing the ring, you pull tight the thread under and upward, then lock join to a picot on the opposite side, actually you let the pattern "grow" to the head of each subsequent ring. I've only my earrings to show you, tatted some time ago:


✨✨✨✨✨✨✨ Buon Ferragosto! ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
"Ferragosto": another star
Ciao,
Ninetta

20 comments:

  1. The whole piece shouts Spring in the most joyful way! I like the swirly rings, they’re very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do a tutorial when you write the pattern! This is far beyond my skill but someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-f thank you for the comment, and I'm happy to hear from you good intentions :)

      Delete
  3. Your butterfly swirl motif is fabulous!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cheery and pretty! And I love, love, love love the lLenka's rings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the combo of Lenka's rings and the trebles. I would love to lnow how you did it. I looked on Lenka's blog but couldn't find it. I agree with Jane that this doily screams spring! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vic! :-f she sent me a tatted angel with those rings in the skirt.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the beautiful use of the "twisted ring"
    It was the result of my experiment in tatting. Do not add the next round

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for this beautiful effect! I love it!

      Delete
  7. You distract me Again!!! Love love love this entire composition - colours, motifs, and techniques!
    Jane M had done some swirls - wonder whether it is the same as these 'twisted rings'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-f and thanks for the comment, now I'm wondering who is the tatting JaneM you're talking of, instead! One JaneM already read this post, at least :)

      Delete
    2. My apologies. My brain was stoned ;-P I think they were chains that Jane McLellan did, not rings.
      I'll tell you when I find the original tut (I'm sure to have saved it in my Pinterest album.

      Delete
    3. Found it in Eliz's Element-al Techniques!!! We really should refer to it more often.
      Here is the link to Mariya's 2-coloured spirals - http://mariyas-tatting.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-coloured-spirals.html?spref=fb

      Delete
    4. thank you very much Muskaan, now I remember I had seen it. Lenka's is with one shuttle only, different method.

      Delete
  8. I love it and would also love to know how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it and would love to know how to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta