Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 15 January 2019

bit by bit

I'm very slow tatting, lately. Gradually, I hope that all WIPs will turn to finished objects instead of UFOs. I've almost finished the bedspread for the dollhouse, forgot where the swirling butterflies doily is, and still got bogged down by the treble tatting project (if you like, read my own definitions of  WIP and UFO here: https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2017/12/spread.html)

Today I only have samples to show you.
There are daisy picots and also daisy picots with unflipped stitches, in which I tried to mix double and treble stitches.

Actually, daisy picots are called picots but they are like chains, as they involve tatting unflipped stitches on the thread that is used for picots. It is like in Maltese ring tatting, both techniques have unflipped stitches made with a second thread, but there is a difference. There's a post by Miranda (here: https://tattingfool.blogspot.com/2011/04/daisy-picots-and-maltese-rings.html), where she clearly explain that with the daisy picots, unflipped stitches are made on the thread around your hand, while, in Maltese rings, the unflipped stitches are made on the core thread.

I learnt (reading this page: https://palmettotatters.org/events/TATDAY2004/Teachers/MarkMyers.shtml) that "the daisy picot" is a technique developed by Gale Marshall (I suppose just before 2004, it could be 2003, because I found a reference to this technique in a blog post by Gina Brummet, dated 2003).

Those stitches (they can be double or treble stitches), tatted on the picot, can also be done in a normal way, that is flipped. That technique, I learnt from other tatters, they called it "dsop" (double stitches on picot) by G&R Houtz, in their book from 2009, "Tatting GR-8 Alternate Threads". Unfortunately, I still haven't bought the book, but here it is a link: https://www.gr-8shuttles.com/ATbook.shtml

In my picture, 1,4 and 5 are examples of daisy picots, white thread is the chain thread (second shuttle) and then stitches are unflipped.

Then, in samples 2, 3 and 6, there are daisy picots with flipped stitches.

May I call those tds on picot, in my sample 3, "tsop"? What do you think?

Ciao,
Ninetta

5 comments:

  1. You amaze me with everything you come up with!!! Fabulous samples!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sue, you're very nice! 🌹🌹🌹

      Delete
  2. When ever I read your post I get satisfaction of knowing some thing new and interesting. Thank for that. Eager to made daisy picots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alka, for these words, I learn myself something new every day :-f

      Delete
  3. What an excellent study and transfer to treble tatting !!! I should get back to tatting to try out these effects.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta