Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 16 July 2019

the "letter e" edging

The sitting room is almost finished, it needs only minor things to be added, then I'll show you a full picture.
The edging you see in my hands has been used to frame the scene, it's about one meter, it's finished now and already glued on.

Thread is ecrù, size 60 DMC Cordonnet Special. Pattern is from Priscilla #3, figure 30 at page 9.
Rings are all 5 picots separated by 2ds, while chains are all 3-2-2-2-2-3. Tat the ring joining it to the second last chain, then the chain, lock join to the picot in the ring and reverse work, switching shuttles. Continue with chain-ring-chain, lock join, switch shuttles and repeat.

I find this edging very fun, it is like a sequence of letters "e", one up and one down. It's a nice variation of the simple rings-and-chains edging, with all "e" in the handwriting position.

Did you know that the letter "e" is the most commonly used letter in many languages? In spite of that, I've learnt that a French author in 1969 wrote a book that is a sort of game, the title is "La disparition", and what disappears is the letter e! In the whole book there isn't a word with the letter e! The incredible thing is that the book has been translated in many languages with the same intent, I should find the Italian version, because I'm really curious now!

I tatted a simple line of rings for the little chair with a size 100 cotton thread (Anchor Artiste Mercer Crochet 100), all rings are 3 picots separated by 3ds, leaving a short bare thread space between rings, you can find the pattern in Priscilla #1 and in Priscilla #3, too. There's a lovely description: "This is the simple edging our grandmothers made, and it is very dainty when made with fine thread and used on the edge of footing to trim handkerchiefs..." Well, it's very dainty also around the chair, isn't it?

Ciao,
Ninetta

18 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile. I look forward to seeing the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both edgings are very dainty! I look forward to seeing the rest of the room.
    I can't believe an entire book can be written without the letter "e"! I am amazed such basic words as the article "le" could be avoided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, it's an incredible game! Thanks for your nice comment!

      Delete
  3. Eeeee 😄😉😆 That's my reaction to such fine thread 😃
    Our brain has this incredible capacity to fill in missing letters (especially vowels) and read/understand as normal. Let us know when you find and read the book !

    The edgings are truly dainty and lift up the scene! 💗💗💗

    Just saying ... the E edging (nice name) can be worked with single shuttle and ball by using reverse join instead of lock join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling companion, full book is an illustration of what a lipogram is, author should do conform to a law, that is writing avoiding that particular sign amidst a and z, within a i o u. So it isn't about contracting words but choosing synonyms, a witty pastim...e! 😂😂😂🌹👋

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work! That set is just precious.
    If I couldn't use the letter "e", my name wouldn't work....in any languarge. Sigh....I'd disparite.
    I do like that edging also. I made a necklace chain using it once and kept going until it was too long ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine neither :) I enjoyed tatting that edging, don't know how I hadn't noticed it before!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, I like that you see the scissors too so my mind is not tricked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, actually that scissors is a little bit smaller than a normal one, but yes, it helps to understand the real size :))

      Delete
  6. Both edgings look dainty! :)
    I looked up that book and found there were 2 books written without the letter e. I could not do that!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The edging and the chair are beautiful.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s gorgeous around the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that edging! My husband brought home two little bird houses to decorate, and I've been looking at your work for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be very lovely! I look forward to see it in your blog!

      Delete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta