Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 22 October 2019

the contemporary rope by Rhoda

The book "Tatting" by Rhoda Auld might just be the best book I've bought. It's from 1974 but very modern, contemporary, like promised in the subtitle: "the contemporary art of knotting with a shuttle".

Among a galore of techniques, there's "the bobble" that Rhoda Auld invented.

The technique is a clever way to stack rings to create a tube. They are only normal rings, but her original method, that uses two shuttles, makes the technique very interesting. I can see many possibilities to use it in new designs 💡💡💡. At page 40 of the book there's a beautiful butterfly (I absolutely love butterflies 😍) with the body formed by the bobble of rings. (The butterfly is really a piece of art, tatted with different threads: "nylon stitching twine, heavy silk, pearl cotton and copper wire".)

I thought that also the Auld's bobble technique can be used to tat the "tatting beaded rope". And actually, it works!

The technique is well explained in the book, so I hadn't difficulties in reproducing it. Two shuttles are required.
I started with a ring with a short picot in the middle, yellow shuttle. Then I passed the second shuttle's thread (red) through the picot and started the second ring in that point (pics 1 and 2). In the middle of the second ring, I passed the first shuttle's thread between double stitches, no gap (that is no picot), and continued. I closed the red ring, then pulled the yellow thread to put the first ring near to the second. Then I turned the work upside down, switched shuttles and repeated. It turned out a nice coloured rope.

The beaded rope, well, that wasn't easy. The difficult part was recreating the spiral effect with beads, that needed to be shifted in each ring. Moreover, the rings are stacked so that one is upside down from the previous, that is "if we think of rings as fish" (thanks Muskaan!) the tails of two consecutive rings are at opposite ends.
After many trials, eventually I understood two things:
  1. beads in each ring have to be an even number, so that the Auld's join between rings falls on the middle and rings are well stacked.
  2. it can be used a simple loom beading pattern. I loaded on one shuttle all beads needed for odd rows and on the second shuttle all beads for even rows, but the beads on the second shuttle must be loaded in this way: divide the number of beads of the row in two parts, then load first the second part and then the first part.

For the sample in the first picture, I followed this pattern:
Beads are red, black and white. Blanks are white beads.
Greyed rows are meant to be loaded on shuttle SH1. In the pic I showed only how to load the first six rows, starting from the up. The green bar in even rows is where I started loading beads on SH2, that is for example the second row: 2 red beads, 2 white, then 1 black and 3 white.
Each ring in the first picture has 8 beads. Thread is polyester by Edda Guastalla's "Fili & gioielli chiacchierino" (S.Master 30, AR4 rosso-giallo). Here you are my sample for the beaded rope:

R0, R1, R2, etc.. are normal rings.
- = picot
Θ = Rhoda Auld's method to join stacked rings, as showed in previous collage, pics 2 and 3.
B = bead.
The beginning ring is away from the tatter.

After all beads are loaded on the shuttles, start in this way:

R0 with SH2: 12-12 (small picot)
R1 with SH1: 1 B 2 B 2 B 2 B 1 Θ 1 B 2 B 2 B 2 B 1;  close ring. Turn work upside down.
R2 with SH2 (leave a short bare thread space): same as R1.
R3 with SH1 (leave a short bare thread space): same as R1.
Continue for the desired length, alternating rings with SH1 and SH2.

ΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘΘ
I bought the book last year, but I'm still in the phase of staring at pictures 🤩.
Just looking at the cover you get an idea of the avant-garde tatter who wrote it.

My copy smells naphthalene, it's a second hand lucky find on ebay, hard cover, great conditions, quite cheap, but I must confess that it took me a couple of months before I opened it, for the terrible odour.
But then, wow!!! I always put thumb and index fingers on my nose and leaf through it 😊. There are many techniques, ideas and designs that, during the last decade, since I started looking for the word "tatting" online, I've found in various sites. Still, there's more to try!

I need time to read it, twice for me is not enough, sigh.

Link to the book review by M. Leigh Martin:
http://www.somethingunderthebed.com/CURTAIN/REVIEWStat/AULD1.html

In the next post: more on bobble (or bauble!) tatting.
Ciao,
Ninetta

20 comments:

  1. Wow, Love the simple but effective tube -- I am going to remember this as 'captured' stacked rings. You explained and photographed the technique beautifully. :X
    Will have to return to your post when I work the beaded rope. Kudos on engineering the beaded spiral :-h

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Ninetta, hats off to you! You’ve achieved what you set out to. The book sounds fascinating. I think you could spend a lifetime following it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Jane :X
      That book is fascinating :)

      Delete
  3. I love that book, there's so much in it. Thanks for sharing the beaded rope. I'm excited to learn about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have achieved it too!!! :)
    Suggestion, get a tub like container(with lid) large enough to have the book open in and put the book in it and an open container of baking soda and cover with lid, then leave for several weeks, then change the baking soda and store again, then check to see if the odor is gone. You can do this several times and if the weather is nice some day you could sit the book open outside for awhile too. ;) I had thread that came from someone who smoked really bad and this was the only way I could get the smell out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂thanks it's very kind of you 🌹 that is something to try 👍

      Delete
  5. Great work, Ninetta! Rhoda Auld's book is one of my favourites, which I keep re-reading to refresh my approach to tatted techniques. It also contains the balanced double stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, must re-visit this book, you have certainly made it come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment, nice to think it is so modern even after 50 years :)

      Delete
  7. I think I need to pull this book off the shelf and read it carefully! It's one I've had for years, but I probably just leafed through it when it arrived. Your tatting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, it is a great source of inspiration 🥰 a pity leaving it asleep in the shelf!

      Delete
  8. You when way over my head with this and the beads, the bead do me in😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your post I always thought that why we didn't meet before some years? Because your post are so tempting to take shuttle in hand and experience these new things but now a days my eyes say NO to delicate work like shuttle tatting. Hope that everything will be ok in future. 😪

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the looks of this, so thanks for sharing. Will give it a try..!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta