Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 9 July 2019

the music of tatting

Is the shuttle a musical instrument?

Lately, I've bought two spools of silk, that is produced not far from where I live.
I had tatted with silk before, but it was raw silk, that I washed myself, I was not completely satisfied because it was sort of fluffy and picots' effect was that the thread wanted to open like a fan.
Not this one!
It is beautiful, twisted and shining... and I discovered that twisted silk can be magical!

For once I was tatting alone at home, without TV, sons, in complete silence, I heard a sound that resembled a violin! At first I  couldn't understand the source.
It was the music produced by the silk, while I was pulling the tiny thread in and out of the ring!

I made up the pattern for the little doily. It was a sort of "tat it and see" but without Mrs. Jane who's got your back! I had to retro tat a couple of times, I also could reopen two rings, I'm really surprised how easy it was!

It's a very very tiny thread. Measuring it with my own "gauge", I could tat 20 ds to reach one centimetre,  it is a lot thinner than a size 100 cotton, that only need 15 or 16 ds for one centimetre of tatting!
I talked about my personal tatting gauge here: https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2015/03/repetita-iuvant-at-least-to-myself.html

Well, I think that for now on, if someone asks me, I can affirm without any doubt that tatting is like playing music!

That silk is produced by "Tecnoseta srl", in Zagarolo (it is a city near Rome, they have an email: tecnoseta@gmail.com)
It is a twisted silk, technically they call that "twisted 2/3 T6", but don't ask me what does it mean!

Ciao,
Ninetta

17 comments:

  1. Complimenti! Bellissimo lavoro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s amazing Ninetta. How wonderful to tat with fine silk and listen to its music. I tried to spin silk once and found it unsatisfactory. I think there are secrets to silk that I don’t know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silk with a silken voice in the 'Sound of Silence' 💖 Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluff City Tatter9 July 2019 at 18:02

    I bought some hand dyed silk but haven't used it yet. I'll have to see if mine "sings" too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! And now a comment in a vintage article on tatting makes sense. I've forgotten who, but a tatter (I think c. 1930's) complained that the cotton "hurt her ears" and she much preferred tatting with another thread. I've even forgotten what thread she liked better. Thank you for clarifying her opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That's interesting, Mel! If you ever will find that article again, please post about it in your blog!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful tiny doily!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first picture looks like the inside of someone's living room if you don't look to closely. Then comes the second picture and the pair of scissors is almost as big as the table! Wonderful miniatures!
    I tried silk thread too but mine was very loosely twisted and my tight tatting didn't agree with it. It is also really slippery. I haven't noticed a sound, but will listen better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some lovely hand-dyed silk thread from Sherry Pence aka Lady ShuttleMaker. I've been keeping it for something special, but I think it's time to hear the music!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lavi and Diane :-f
    Diane, I think that the thread "sings" because it is twisted, I didn't hear any sound when I tatted with not twisted silk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few spools of silk, can't wait to make it sing like you did. I so admire your miniatures. I often forget that they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernice, I'd take some pics of that near my hands, next time :)

      Delete
  11. Your miniatures are so lovely and detailed that one really has to focus to realize they are so small! It would be so fun to hear your tatting music!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta