Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 5 March 2019

How to tat a tds in a split chain

Split chains are very useful when you need to climb out in a pattern, without cutting the thread, I usually use them in my tatting.

As a reference for how to tat a split chains with double stitches, there are many resources online.

Muskaan collected a list of useful links in her page "Tatting Resources". Also, there are videos by Karen Cabrera, Frivole, and in the YouTube channel of the Georgia Seitz Online Beginning Shuttle Tatting Class.

So, I've been seeking a way to tat the treble tatting stitch in split chains, too.


I had to waive the complete double stitch within the treble, in fact there is only a first half stitch in the first "leg", but that little exception lets the stitch appearing, anyway.

(That little change in making the tds makes me wonder if the tds could have been alternatively tatted  in this way!)

Here I'm using a metal ring, but it is the same concept of the split chain, if you substitute the ring with the bare thread. I used the ring for the sake of clarity, since I've used a very thick thread, thickness is - maybe - 3mm.
1. Let a loop of thread drop behind the ring. Bring the shuttle to the front and then into the loop.
2. Pull the loop behind the ring and upwards, tighten it but leave a very short picot.
3. Laying the picot across the ball thread and pull up a loop of thread through the picot.
4. Let this loop opened

That was the first "leg" of the stitch.

5. Bring the shuttle to the back of the ring
6. Pass the shuttle behind into the loop thus formed, from back to front
7. Repeat, passing the shuttle into the loop for a total of 3 times
8. Pass the shuttle into the first loop (that one in pic 4.)

That was the second "leg".
But now the thread needs to be settled in:

9. and 10. Close the first loop (that one in pic 4) pulling the thread between the two "legs"
11. Pull the shuttle to coil the second "leg".

In pic 12 there is the stitch finished.

I hope to have a pattern ready to be shared next week, with a practical example.

Ciao,
Ninetta


10 comments:

  1. Excellent !!! I was trying to move from right to left in my initial attempt (and with the ds) - DYK. Which is why I decided to first learn tds in direct tatting 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! 👍🌹
      I'll try to have something more posted next week 👋👋

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, I still have to try the treble stitch but it’s nice to know it can be done in a split ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and in a split chain, too :)
      Thank you dear Margaret :-f

      Delete
  3. Your tds projects just amaze me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I’m way behind you on that one, but it’s innovative and I take my hat off to you! Thanks for showing the way for others to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane, thank you for this comment, because I think you're an innovative tatter :X I'm having fun and I'm learning, just like everyone. :-f

      Delete
  5. I am constantly amazed at your fearless approach to tatting, and appreciate very much your careful tutorials. Some are more useful than others to me as I am not as skillful a tatter as one must be to do some of the processes you describe! I have resumed tatting after about a 50 year haitus - things have changed a lot!! Thanks to you and your fellow tatter s for the ENDRUCKS project. A very valuable - and I see ongoing - endeavor. Barbara Carey - Carlsbad NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Barbara, thank you so much for your visit and for this nice comment ❤

      Delete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta