Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 28 May 2019

Pizzo - that is lace

From the Italian tatting meeting, I came back home with many gifts, many of those are from Edda Guastalla, she's been very generous. I received her threads, one of her tatted angels, her instructions for ice drops used in her class and also a pattern from her shop.

I've already started it, using the yellow anchor thread, size 80, leftover after the swirling butterflies doily. There are flaws, my fault, I forget to join some picots, I joined to the wrong place a couple times, there is a ring with the wrong number of picots. But I  love it very much, it's a beautiful pattern and I'll finish it, in any case. I don't even know if I have sufficient thread for a complete round, so let's say that this will be just my first sample.

She called her edging "Pizzo Lazzaroni" (Lazzaroni is a surname and she has a nice private story behind that name's choice). It can be found in her etsy shop, here:  

... in Italian we have the word "merletto", that is lace, then "pizzo" that is... lace, and also "trina" that is... lace, again! Actually there are differences, but it's a challenge for me, now, telling you why and when using one or the other word... Mainly Italian geographical and historical differences but also subtle meaning's differences. For example, you can often found "pizzo chiacchierino", but never "trina chiacchierino", the etymology for the word trina is the Latin triple and it is often used for the most refined and sheer kind of laces, made with the finest thread.

Ciao,
Ninetta
P.S. good news! I found the two doilies that I had started, they're safe at home, I'll show you in next posts!

12 comments:

  1. Phew, glad you found the doilies! The yellow design looks good, even if it ends up as a practice run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, you should never leave your doilies alone - when the cat is away the mice will play 😆😄😉😃
    Very interesting about the nomenclature !!! Perhaps if you can find images of each type, more details will become clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not types of lace, like bobbin lace or needle lace, they are terms, words :) synonyms with subtle differences.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful start to your edging!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Yellow design looks so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue and Alka! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very wonderful edging and I want to say a great lesson too! I will have to check out her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it very interesting that a language has several words to refer to a particular thing; it shows how important that thing is in the culture of the country. Just like the Eskimos have many words to refer to snow!
    As far as I know (which means an absolute non-guarantee of universal knowledge!), we have only one word for lace in French (dentelle).
    Glad you found your doilies 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that edging. I muddled my way through one of Edda Guastalla's patterns back when I was just starting to learn about tatting. I must return to it. I enjoyed tatting the edging, but found it too difficult at that time. Perhaps I've improved enough to realize her excellent design in thread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear! Definitely, at least you should give it another try.

      Delete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta