Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 11 June 2019

a little bit of everything

That's a very untidy post. A little bit of everything means that nothing is finished! Well!

That's what's up!

But first, I want to share my thoughts about the treble tatting join (TJ).
There are two methods, mine and Muskaan's. The Muskaan's method gives a slightly overlapping effect, then I think that I would better specify which TJ I'm using in patterns, because you would end with a little bit different looking tatting.
I've used both methods in this doily, now I must find a way to address them correctly in patterns. Should I call them TJa and TJb? or TJn and TJm??? Mmmm...

I'm at an impasse with the next one, I think it's nice as it is or... I could add one round more, but can't decide...


Then, I found a very lovely doily in the second issue of Mani di Fata, that is from 1942.
I discovered that that issue contains exactly the same patterns found in a little bit older german publication, from 1921. You can find the same doily at page 12 at this link:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/neueschiffchenspitzen.pdf
That scan has been kindly offered by Georgia Seitz in the page "The Archive of Tatting Books in the Public Domain": http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/publicindex.html

UPDATE: the book is from 1935 and it is listed here: https://www.craftree.com/sources/10176  

Now, I'm very curious how and why that German publication was folded into the Italian magazine... Any of you can answer?

That is my start, that is not quite the same, but I know that you already got me!


In the left corner of the very first picture, there's one of two flat wood shuttles that I bought at Zagarolo, last week. They are perfect to hold beads!

That's all for today. Hope to have a little bit more to share next time!

Ciao
Ninetta

18 comments:

  1. I love all the projects you have and all shuttles have great purpose for certain things they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes agree, those are my first flat ones, after your bunny of course, but I don't use it, I save it, it's so beautiful that I'm afraid to break or lose it! :X

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, projects in progress and they all look wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a bit of everything in my salad - fruits, nuts and veggies ;-P
    IMHO, there is no need to specify which particular join you are using (unless it makes a fundamental difference), except to give the choice beforehand or in your notes. Otherwise it may unnecessarily complicate the pattern and smooth flow of presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I like mixed salad, too)
      Actually, the difference is never 'fundamental', like when you choose between different way to join in double stitches, but when the lines of stitches overlap you may need to adjust the count too. In that ring and chain round, I wouldn't like the adjacent rings to overlap, in the centre, instead, I wanted half rings blocked one over the previous. Just what I like, and I'd like finding it in the visual pattern, without reading the notes, yes I'm lazy, lol!

      Delete
    2. Okay 😄 Perhaps you could use some colour coding to distinguish between the two TJs.
      I like your Venetian Sunrise doily as is. It's just that I would've expected something more detailed than simple chains from you 😄😄😄😄

      Delete
  4. I love how it looks when you stick a ring of tds in the middle of regular rings and chains. It adds a bit of a frill. (Pic 3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I like those, too. 🥰👍

      Delete
  5. I think the doily looks perfect, doesn't need another round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well well! That is a great hint! Thank you a lot, dear Jane :X

      Delete
  6. I have not tried the TJ yet, but I do like the way it looks! I will have to spend more time studying the techniques you and Muskaan use. I do see a difference in the pictures. Your little doily is fabulous! I would be tempted to leave it as it is, or tat a replica with the next round(s) to see how the design evolves. There are so many choices to be made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-f I hope that the treble tatting stitch is going to be tried by every tatter...
      Thank you for leaving your opinion about the doily. Exactly, there are many choices, that's the great fun when designing your own tatting! :)

      Delete
  7. I like the doily as is. I suppose if you wish to have a bigger piece of lace, you could add to it. I have no clue what to add though. Perhaps you could "sketch" something on paper or the computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving your comment, now I'm more confident that it is nice as it is, I need a little bit time more to reflect though 😘👋

      Delete
  8. You have a great mixture of projects on the go, love the doily and two beautiful shuttles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta