Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 25 February 2020

ivy leaves with roll tatting

The pattern is from Priscilla#3, it's the Ivy Leaf Doily, defined doily but actually it's an edging. Thread is dmc ecru size 20. I tatted only a shorter sample, while in the book there are twenty repetitions.
They wrote also how to apply it to the fabric.

These are their instructions:

"With finer thread, crochet a chain all around inside working a slip stitch into the outer picots of the tatted chains. Then draw a circle on your linen and cut allowing for a 1/8 inch hem. Whip the lace to the edge of the piece taking up each stitch."

But there was the fast&modern way! In fact they continued:

"If you prefer to cover the edge with doubles, machine stitch on the penciled line, so that the linen will not stretch in the working. Cut away linen about 1/8 inch beyond stitching as you work."

Well, I'd rather not machine stitch such an edging, all that handmade work deserves handmade stitches.
It was very difficult for me tatting something acceptable, the roll tatting is fiddly, even if I carefully followed their hint, dividing the number of rolls in ten or twelve and holding them between fingers.
But, well, maybe the writer from 1924 was more modern than me!

I think I will finish the sample with fabric and hidden whip stitches, but without the crochet chain.

Ciao,
Ninetta

8 comments:

  1. It's all relative 😉😆 Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered if the thread was different, or the motion used to tat was different, or those who tat before me were just that much more proficient. Your doily looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 🥰 dear Mel, they wrote the material and it was cotton for crochet size 5. I've little hands, big rings in size 5 are very big and tricky for me.

      Delete
  3. You’ve done a really good job. I’ve never managed to do roll tatting at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I remember an easy edging in a book by Mary Koninor, you can try that one first.

      Delete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta