Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 10 March 2020

just for one hanky

I've already written about this handbag, here:
https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2020/03/priscillas-bag.html

It's charming but not strong, the bottom is closed with lock joins taking two picots together. That means it can't be used to carry heavy stuff, for example it can't be used as a cell phone holder.

I put a hanky inside, but there's still room for a pack of paper tissues.

The cord is beaded pearl tatting. The material required in the pattern was cotton size 50 and, for the central thread, cotton size 5. I used Sanbest metallic mixed polyester thread, colour number 178, 3 strands that is similar to a size 50, and for the central thread I used a black polyester, without brand or number, thicker than a size 10.

Now that is finished, I'm doubtful about the cord. I carefully followed their instructions, they wrote to tat 2 cords in pearl tatting, starting with a section 1 foot long without beads, then 1 foot long with beads, then another foot without. The 2 cords are joined in the middle beaded section. At the end, the cords is about 90 centimetres long. Don't you think is too long? How did they use to wear it? How many hankerchieves did a lady need?
Ciao,
Ninetta

10 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful!! :)
    If it's an older pattern they probably used thicker thread. And ladies in times past used to be prepared for anything so they would always carry more than needed "just in case". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear :-f
      I'm wondering about the long grip, I mean, they didn't use to wear a shoulder strap, did they?

      Delete
  2. With long skirts, perhaps it dangled down elegantly? It’s a shame it’s not strong enough to carry more than a hanky. If it was lined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, it could be that.
      Maybe the lining can help but in any case that bag is delicate and flimsy. Luckily polyester is stronger than cotton.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine that ladies had much to carry around back then. Maybe a hanky was all that was needed, or maybe the bags were just a decorative accessory. As for the length of the cord, I like Jane's idea of it dangling elegantly. Maybe we need to look for some old pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane🌹
      I've been searching for old images, but no luck till now

      Delete
  4. Definitely only one hanky. Why else would gentlemen need to hand their's to the lady ;-P
    It looks good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been very bad with visiting blogs and your work is always fun to follow it reminds me I show stop and enjoy them again💐🦋💐

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta