Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 21 April 2020

variations on the onion recipe

This post is part of a series.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Continue from: 1. Onion rings with true rings

1.1 Variation: how to join the inner ring

To join outer to inner ring, we use the so called “onion ring join”, that let the core thread sliding.
Another join with the same characteristic is the “Join to smooth side” (JSS) also known as the “Anne Dyer's join” (because it is in the only one book by Anne Dyer). I like very much this join and I often use it in my tatting.
For the JSS, there is a video by Karen Cabrera: https://youtu.be/rN-wsHQQ6Dc
In pic 11 there are two onion rings, on the left there is the one with the onion ring join, on the right the other with the JSS.

1.2 Variation: tatting the outer ring

For the outer ring, Aurora Lozada shares her “perfect method” here: https://tathelper.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-perfect-onion-ring.html#more
She suggests tatting the first ds of the outer ring and then moving the inner ring down, so that it will be trapped into the outer ring's loop.
Her tutorial has been shared as a pdf, too, in Georgia Seitz’s site: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2014/auroralozadamethodonionring.pdf
(Aurora, in the same tutorial, also explains her method to tat “Split Onion Rings”)

In my case, I chose to add that first ds to the total stitches’ count (that is I tatted 1ds, then moved the inner ring, then continued with 5ds, and so on).
Kathleen Minniti shared a slight variation, that is she captures the inner ring in the first half stitch (within the loop after flipping the stitch) and proceeds with the 2nd half stitch. (I like this variation and I think I will use it. If I remember to!)
I didn’t take pictures for this variant, but you find the reference and pictures by Muskaan here: https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/12/concentricity-pattern.html
=> UPDATE: This is the step-by-step tutorial by Muskaan for the Captured Onion Ring, Kathleen Minniti's method:
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2020/05/captured-onion-rings.html
=> a second UPDATE: Muskaan wrote another post, comparing Aurora's, Kathleen's and a third method suggested by Judith Connors: https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2020/07/never-say-die.html

1.3 Variation: tatting the outer ring first

The outer ring can be tatted first. That is explained by Anastasija P. Yelisejeva in her site.
She shares a tutorial ( in pdf format) that shows us how to proceed and the two methods (A and B in my picture here below) that she uses to join the inner ring (tatted after that the outer ring is closed).

I've added the extra picot in the middle (that it isn't in her tutorial), but that depends on my pattern.
You can find her tutorial here: http://frivolitatting.com/?page_id=813&lang=en (in that page, look for the “onion ring and mock onion ring”.) (direct link:  http://frivolitatting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/OR_ENG_2.11.12.pdf)

UPDATE: Muskaan shared a new picot: the "Intruding Picot" and used it in a  ‘lollipop onion ring’  ring where the outer ring is tatted first: https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2020/07/picot-is-posted.html

1.4 Variation: tatting the onion ring from the back side

You may have noted that I’ve tatted all variations working from the front side.

But Marilee Rockley shared her method to tat the whole onion ring from the backside. As she writes (and I agree), it can happen to find a pattern that you’d like tatting frontside/backside, and that tutorial will be useful then.

I haven’t tatted this variant, then no pictures.
You can find her photo-tutorial here: https://yarnplayertats.blogspot.com/2016/03/tatting-onion-ring-from-back-side.html

~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~
The "true rings" method is just one way to tat onion rings. If you liked my posts till now, I'd like having your opinion and if you are aware of more methods (with true rings).

But then, you can tat one inner true ring and the outer like mock ring; or tat all mock rings... but for these you'd wait for my next post.

... To be continued!

Ciao,
Ninetta

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for gathering up your thoughts and putting them into a clear post! I have never mastered onion rings. At least to my satisfaction. Perhaps because I want to be able to tat 3 together to represent triad chords. Leave it to me to over-achieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-f I hope that looking at it in slow motion you will do better than you expected 🎶

      Delete
  2. I think the join is really important for success, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice collection and observations! I like your 2-picot variant (B) of outer ring first! Must try it. 💙

    Just in case... the captured ring variation of Kathleen's that I show in the post, is from the backside, hence starts with 2nd half-stitch.

    I've done a few effects with onion rings - 3D, floating JR, 2 and 3 colour rings, etc. But can't remember anything else.
    Also, there are times when one ring is worked frontside, the other backside, etc, so long as the threads/shuttles emerge at the right position for next element.

    Eager to see Part 3 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for everything - I mean everything - you share 💌 in your blog. The 3D JR effect was on my list but then I decided to leave it out for the more classic 2D effects. I'd like adding more about 3D and multi-rings at the end of the series, if I have the stamina 🤣

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the lesson!! :) I think it might help me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post! I've been playing with onion rings, not having great success. I'm think my picots may be too large, and my tension is not consistent. I'll have to keep trying. Thanks for the lesson! I look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the clear pictures, Ninetta. You could also substitute the slope-and-roll join for the JSS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Judith! I've written about the S&RJ in previous post. These are variations. Anyway, the JSS is my favourite join for onion rings, I must admit 😁

      Delete
  7. Anne Dyer has some great ideas in her book, which you have discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh a wonderful amount of information. Thanks you Ninetta. I have put a link to this post on the Facebook group Tatters of Lace for all to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta