Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 20 October 2020

unusual scalloped edge

Another post for the "Endrucks 1920" project.

That is my tatting for the pattern #14 in the "Schiffchen-Spitzen" book, by E.Endrucks, from 1920, it is available here: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/publicindex.html

I think that I'll go on tatting that, at least about one meter, for a nice linen towel's edging. I like this scalloped edging a lot, a very unusual and original shape for tatting, it makes me forget that the pattern it's turning 100!

You can start CTM, all one colour, but I chose to tat it in two colours to better follow the pattern. Thread is DMC Special Dentelles size 80. 

As in previous pattern (the n.8, read previous post: vintage trees), the bottom part is the side of the edging that should be attached to the fabric.

In the pattern there are true thrown off (floating) rings, that makes it a 2 shuttles pattern. There are tatters who prefer tatting with shuttle and ball and transform all floating rings in mock rings. The difference is minimal but it can be spotted, because of the different effect on the chain, it changes the curve. The next is a narrow edging with mock rings on chains, that I've tatted some years ago:

I've uploaded my diagram in Flickr (click to see a better image):

endrucks n.14

The pattern starts with the little ring 6-6 on the left, but, alternatively, you can start directly with the block tatting part, omitting the first ring and the chain 6-6-6. In that case, the pattern would start with a picot, then a chain 4-4-4-4, something like in previous pattern n.8, that started directly with a chain. They usually call it the “dead end” start, but in this case it is with a starting picot. There are some links to various tutorials in Muskaan's page https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/p/tatting-resources.html, if some links there don't work, in the URL you should change blogspot.in with blogspot.com

The original instruction in previous Eldrucks' pattern number 8 was to start CTM with one double stitch, then leave a very small picot, then tat the first row of the block tatting. That is only one way to start the "dead end" chain without a clip. I think that it may be helpful to figure this method as if they started CTM in the "Diag.1" drawing in this photo: (Block Tatting how to by Julie Patterson: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2012/blockpatterson.jpg) .

Ciao,
Ninetta

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting pattern. No one would guess it was 100 years old! Good that it’s being used in modern times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pattern. The house I live in is about 100 years old (really old for my neighborhood) with quirky doors and windows. I think this edging would fit very well as a decoration in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome to try it! Thank you Mel!

      Delete
  3. You are running with this project w-) Love your observations!
    I think one can do only the broad scallops with minimal elements between them and that would look good too.
    Beautiful :X
    I will be starting a G-Docs to list all these patterns with links and pics. Hope you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🤩 good idea, I like more the scallops than the elements in between. It would my pleasure to have my drawings listed in your file, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely edging and you have tatted it beautifully.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much Stephanie! :-f

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Such a beautiful and very innovative!! This is very new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What astonishes me is how straight the base of the block tatting is. I'm not used to straight lines in tatting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta