Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Wednesday 20 January 2021

testing with grace

I've been test tatting another pattern for the "Endrucks 1920 Project".

That is a community project, we welcome you to join in! Please let us known where we can find your renditions and derivative tatting! We all enjoy sharing and the project is waiting every one of you! 

All infos and links are in the Endrucks 1920 Project Document, here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17LEVftXweztBIOWh4sL4BB7bX65ssoOsOn4oXIgCepY/view?usp=sharing

I tried the pattern number 43, that has been already tatted by Maria Grazia, a friend from the Italian tatting group in Facebook, you can see her tatting in the Endrucks 1920 Project Document. "Grazia" is "grace" so I'd the idea to title this post like that! Also grace means elegance, that is what I think looking at this lovely pattern.

I started from the original diagram and stitch count. But I changed the starting point, in fact in the original, the edging starts with a chain in the point indicated by the white arrows. In this way, also the direction of the two chains under the big rings changes (they will face opposite direction and not the same direction as in block tatting).

 That in next picture it is the original diagram from the 1920 book:

It was my intention to draw it again and put it in Flickr, in time for this post, but lately I had little time. I hope to do it in a week, then I will put the link here too.

UPDATE: link to the drawing in Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2kuTya8

The pattern asks to tat the inner part of the scallop with the block tatting with rings, then two "back and forward" chains follow  that trim the rings. That remembered me some old crochet patterns, a very clever escamotage to have an high border in only one pass.

At my first try, I followed the original instruction, joining a normal picot on the starting chain, but when you join in that way, you are forced to bend the picot, to put it on the same side of the double line of chains. I bent it on the back.

Maybe, that is a point where a face inward picot could be useful. Then, in the next repetition I wanted to try my idea. I like it better, but it's just a matter of personal preferences. I think that sometimes I'm too meticulous!

In the original, all chains face in the same direction, as in block tatting. But those chains are detached two by two, then they can be tatted facing opposite direction, as we normally do in a simple rings and chains pattern (that is how Maria Grazia tatted it in her sample). I tried both versions.

 

Another point to put on evidence is related to tatting tension. In the original, all surrounding chains are 6ds, then the big rings between scallops are all 8ds between joins or picots, look at the picture on the left:

I tat very tight, in spite of that I had to reduce the stitch count for the big ring in the section that has to be joined to the scallop. I like it better, and I noticed that the big rings are a wee bit out of shape also in the original picture. IMHO that was a designing solution to simplify the pattern, maybe they thought all the same stitch count between picots is simpler to memorise and in general, tension on rings is tighter than on chains.

Then, A and B in the next picture, are the points that I would change in respect to the original, if I'll tat this pattern again.

There's still space for another tip from my side, if you like. The two points where the scallop joins the big ring, they are the same points where at the same time you need to lock join the chain of previous round (that is like in block tatting).

I found easier to first do the lock join and after that, do the normal join to the ring.

I hope that you like this project like me, because I want to try more patterns from this old book. 

If you wish to participate at any stage, you can leave a comment here, or in Muskaan's blog (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2021/01/back-to-endrucks.html) or contact us on Facebook (https://m.facebook.com/muskaan.mooskaan and https://www.facebook.com/ninetta.caruso)

Ciao,

Ninetta 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh dear Linda! Not complex, just interesting! :-f

      Delete
  2. Meticulous indeed and such an eye for detail! 😍👍
    While reading your last part about joining I have an idea - Pull a loop of ball thread up for picot join, bring the same loop down through the picot (where lock join is needed) and Then pass shuttle through this extended loop and tension all together.
    Can it be done? Something like the xEPJ or a variation. It's midnight here, so my brain could be half asleep already 🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, that is to be tried for sure 👍 I hope that I understood well... I will tell you 😘👍

      Delete
  3. Interesting pattern, hats off to you for reviving and explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work in reviving the pattern. I love your explanations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta