Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Saturday 8 June 2024

captured in a twist – Part II

Continuing from previous post. 

Every effect shown here in rings can be applied in chains too.

I found another way to tat the same Captured Picot. The difference between VersionA and VersionB is in a little “bump” of thread present in VersionA (see the black arrow in the next picture), that disappears in VersionB. In this collage I put side by side all rings tatted in the two versions, hope that it is clear what I wanted to put in evidence.

The ‘bump’ in Version A is caused because the first picot gets encapsulated in the next half-stitch and the thread is visible in the front when the loop for the second picot is pulled UP through first picot:

Note by Muskaan:  In VersionA, when the loop for the second picot is pulled DOWN through the first picot, this bump/extra thread moves to the back and is NOT visible in the front. This effect is well visible in the “Single Ring Butterfly”, already shown in previous post, where both captured picots have been tatted following VersionA.

Captured Picot – Version B

In this version the first picot will be created by the same loop that forms the second picot. The following collage shows how I tatted Version B (note that stitch count is only for the scope of this tutorial):

pic 1 - Start with 3ds. 

pic 2 and drawing - Take the loop around the hand and twist it clockwise so that you will create an “8” shape, this movement will create the first picot and will take the loop in front of the first picot in this way: bend the upper loop of that “8” toward the last tatted ds and put your fingers inside that upper loop. NOTE: This is to ‘trap’/capture the thread in the first picot. Leaving it in place, work the next steps using the right side of the loop. 

Note that if you twist the ring loop counterclockwise the loop will be turned toward the back of the first picot, and the thread will overlap in the opposite direction.

pic 3 - Leave the space for the first long picot, then tat next ds with the thread coming from the loop. 

The height of the long picots were eyeballed in the thai thread, but with the Lizbeth size 10 I used a gauge of 1/2” vertically. 

pic 4 – Tat a total of 4 ds with the thread coming from the loop. 

Note that the stitch count in this step/pic is sort of “strategical”, because the effect will be more evident if the second picot is “captured” at a distance. Hence I would not recommend to tat only 1 or 2 ds in this step. 

pic 5 - Then, open again the main loop of the ring. Put your hand inside the main loop of the ring and the working thread will be captured by the first long picot. Leave the space for the second long picot, I used the same picot gauge.

pic 6 - Complete the ring (I tatted 3 ds in the big ring) and close it. 

Muskaan’s note:
- The main difference between VersionA and VersionB is in pic 2. In VersionA (pic 2 in previous blogpost) the first picot is made complete followed by one ds and then the thread is pulled through the picot to start the second picot. In VersionB (pic 2 in this post), the first picot is made after the thread for second picot is folded into position.

Captured Picot Version B (twist loop clockwise):   R: 6 - -↑ (4) - - 6

Captured Picot Version B (twist loop counterclockwise):   R: 6 - -↓ (4) - - 6

Legend:
- -  long picot
-↑ Captured picot, Version B, twist loop clockwise
-↓ Captured picot, Version B, twist loop counterclockwise
(4) = 4ds tatted with working thread coming from the loop 

*******

Muskaan already tatted some of the various possibilities, for example the adjoining captured picots using a dark thread, and so I noticed a little small picot (highlighted with the white line on the left in the pic below) that gave me ideas to go further in exploring this new decorative picot. Muskaan is the best for tatting techniques, she’s always generous in sharing ideas, encourage, dissect, motivate, and she is my “Partner In Crime”!!

Well, so the exploration continues and there will be two other posts in this series

As a sneak peek, here is the “Quadruple Captured Picot”, I will explain this effect too. Now I have a lovely edging, a WIP with a good chance to be finished! Thread is DMC size 80. The pin in the pic is to visualize the actual size of the edging.

Ciao, 

Ninetta.

*********************

This post is part of a series:

Captured Picot VersionA: captured in many ways - Part I

Captured Picot VersionB: captured in a twist - Part II

Adjoining Captured Picots and Captured Join: captured and caught - Part III

Triple and Quadruple Captured Picot: captured in Pairs - Part IV

*********************

8 comments:

  1. Trust you to come up with more and more 😄💕
    As I tatted a few more, I find that the little bump in VersionA is not easily seen in smaller size threads, including Anchor 20.
    Beautiful edging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right! Especially with my poor eyes!!!! Thanks for your pic, magnified!
      The twist in versionB will be useful in another "captured" effect, like that one in the edging

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the lessons!! :) Very informative!!
    I love your new edging!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, it boggles my mind a bit. I’ll have to try it to understand it better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls are pinging off each other! I can feel your adrenaline! It’s exciting. Size 80. Oh, yeah. Let me zoom in on it. Yup. I see what you’re describing. Hahaheehee. Yes, I love your exploration ! I Love your fine tatting too - it’s admirable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta