Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 19 February 2019

jumping in place - starting without the very first ds

Here it is a tatting-jump workout that worked for me and, I think, would work for you, too. Tat as much as you can in 15 minutes, then rest for 1 minute, then repeat for 15 minutes and, well, you know, tatting is addictive...  If only I could finalise all these rough ideas...

For the sequence of steps for tatting a treble tatting stitch, refer to this post: treble tatting - ideas
or watch this video in YouTube: https://youtu.be/ra0NnlqR0oA

Each treble tatting stitch starts with a very small picot and one double stitch.

But when you tat, for example, a ring, it seems that a very first ds is needed, it is essential, in order to create that very small picot that starts the tds. I discovered that that is not true.

Not every pattern/element has one ds before the first tds. It depends on the pattern.

In some of my patterns, I already started the first tds without any ds before that, for example here: chubby chic tatting

So, here it is where the jumping exercise can burn many calories...

vsp = very small picot
ds = double stitch
tds = treble tatting stitch

Start a normal ring, with the loop around your hand. Now, I want to start with one tds, without the very first ds before that very first tds:
If you look the arrows, actually I used the bare thread in place of the very first "vsp", then the very first ds is already part of the very first tds. (There's a way to hide that tail, too. But that is for another post...)

Laying the bare thread across the ball thread, pull up a loop of ball thread.
Then, take another loop of the ball thread and pull it through the previous loop.
That is the first half of the tds.

Now, slip the shuttle through the loop thus formed. Don't tighten it, yet.
Take a loop of the core thread in the ring finger, then pass the shuttle from back to front, through the loop, 3 times.
Tighten the ball thread and don't let the core thread slip out of place.
Then, pull the core thread.
That is the second half of the tds.

Well, I've been playing with my white and yellow threads and ended with many ideas but without any finished item!

What can I do with a ring without any ds at all? I passed the shuttle through the loop around the hand, closed it and the ring folded in a funny way:
If you don't "post" the shuttle, the ring folds backward.
Then I wondered, where would a starting tds (without a starting ds) be useful?
Maybe in a line of split rings?
That is a nice jump, so it inspired me to go on:
I have quite a pattern, but, maybe, it needs minor changes and - why not - beads! It could be a bracelet (I love tatted bracelets!)

But I keep on playing, then:
The simplest place to "jump high in place" is in chains!
In pics there are arrows pointing to the "vsp" and the "ds" that have to be used for the first half of the tds.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀
There is one thing about the treble tatting stitch (abbreviated "tds") that I haven't written yet, in this blog: I chose the term "treble" because it is the closest term to my Italian "punto alto". The "ds" is the traditional stitch, then tds is the treble ds. Simple to memorise.

Ciao,
Ninetta
UPDATE: Please refer to the page "Treble Tatting Stitch - Summary" - https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_95.html for any info about treble tatting stitches, thank you.

11 comments:

  1. y-) and w-)
    See? Jumping in place!
    But look what happens next =D>
    h-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-? Please, stay far away from dangerous emoticons!

      Delete
    2. Yes, wise words 😀 But it is so difficult to stay away from this exciting exploration and evolution 💖🌹💖

      Delete
  2. I can see you’re not resting on your laurels. I’ll have to read this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so have to take a deep breath and try is I am in need of time to concentrate and focus. It truly is on my to do list😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to come back and re read, very interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely try this jumping, once I jump from USA to India.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta