Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 18 June 2024

the embossed cover

We all have admired the unusual triangular design of the doily shown on the cover of the book ‘Die Schiffchen-Spitszen’ by E.Endrucks. Do you know that we had a TAL for the cover doily in the Fb Endrucks group? I’m almost sure that Muskaan’s readers have already read her post here: https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/02/the-cover-covered.html
It was long ago, it’s all my fault if I procrastinated writing the roundup of doilies posted for that game. Then, with appalling delay, next post will be about the Tat-Along.

In this post I love sharing with you another tidbit that I hadn’t noticed before and I think it would be news for you too. I updated the file: “FINDINGS - contemporary/Endrucks-related patterns” - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGDpofK-kym96sIPmeEdVJudLwNI5YWr/view?usp=drivesdk 

In March I was lucky to touch a rare copy of the original Endrucks’ book (I wrote about it in a previous post - https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2024/04/and-offline-life.html -). I was immediately surprised by the fact that the picture of the doily on the cover is slightly embossed, which is evident in the back of the paper. I immediately called it “the Braille tatting”, LOL! 

(detail) back side of cover page of E’s book

We already knew that Emmy Liebert's books also have the covers with the embossed tatting image, we read it in the review by M. Leigh Martin at her site "Something Under the Bed", link http://www.somethingunderthebed.com/CURTAIN/REVIEWStat/REVIEWS_ItoL/LIEBERT1.html .

In May I had the opportunity to see with my eyes more tatting publications from the same publisher, contemporary to Endrucks’, and I was dazed, positively surprised, that they all have the same embossed cover. Unfortunately I had to leave those books where they were! I took pics and that’s all my measly loot!


Beyers (1916) Band 36

Beyers (1921) Band 36

Beyers (approx.1920) Band 40

In March/April, when we last updated the file “FINDINGS”, I thought that we haven’t enough information to say that this kind of cover was the norm for all craft handbook of the same publisher or not.

Only the other day the lightbulb went on. Reinforcing my belief that it is better for me to reread the same sentence in English several times and at different times, asking myself each time if what I understood corresponds to what is written! Those who follow me know English is not my mother tongue (and I’m sorry if my blog posts are not always proofread before going online!).

That is the truth: I was looking for something else and opened (for the umpteenth time) the English translation of the textual parts of the book - and Eleonore Endrucks’ biography -, in this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LzBnvzj7azCWLXJACSvcNHegXfP4fv_/view 

Couldn’t believe my eyes when I I read the words: “this kind of cover is protected by…”! How it happened that I didn’t understand the meaning of that sentence?

Hence, absolutely yes, the embossed cover was a characteristic of the publisher Otto Beyer, even a copyrighted peculiarity, in fact in the backpage of the frontispiece of E’s book it is clearly written:

“All rights reserved
The covers of our book show embossed the technique taught in the same.
This kind of cover is protected by D R-M-G [Deutsches Reichs-Marken-Gesetz, German Reichs’ trademark law] Nr. 402 459.
Copyright in America is guaranteed by: Copyright by Verlag Otto Beyer, Leipzig, 1920 II.” 
[from ‘Die Schiffchen-Spitszen’]

Ciao,
Ninetta

8 comments:

  1. You have proved to be a valuable detective in our Project! Thank you so much :-f Must've been a wonderful feeling to hold the original book(s) even if for a short time 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful discovery! I'm always fascinated with how vintage books are put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting discovery! I remember loving embossed birthday cards when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exciting research! Thank you so much, Ninetta, for your work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta