WHAT TO DO
1) follow the pattern
2) follow the same pattern choosen in point 1)
3) take your time and plenty of patience. As Jane said, that should have been called "the Patience Doily".
4) print a polar grid, it should have at least 8 sections.
5) better to keep picots' size the same along rings. I noted imperfections in my doily due to a wrong choice in the first 2 rounds. That's not true for chains, at least for me.
6) go visiting aunts. Even if they haven't a solution, they have always nice words for you.
7) RELAX! They're only ring and chains, after all.
WHAT TO DON'T
1) follow the pattern. Experimenting is the greatest part of the fun.
2) be negative. It's very easy to make mistakes with this pattern. But, again, learn from inspirational and supportive aunts: try to go further.
3) put the doily inside a box for a while. That's worthless, even if the box is pyramidal.
4) start 2 mystery doilies in the same month. The great mystery is that the second will turn out VERY different from the first one (refer to point 1).